Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Experiencing History

I decided today to take a break from everything to remember yesterday's historical event. We all have our political views and like religion both stir strong emotions to surface. Regardless of which party came out on top, this election represented change in this country that has yet to be seen and we were here to witness. I was so fortunate to have been raised by a mother who was and still is color blind. I still don't know how this happened. She was raised in the south, was surrounded by the scars of slavery, and as a child didn't drink from the same water fountain with those that today could easily be our neighbors. She passed these views on to all her children and I have always been so greatful. As a child I remember vividly driving through a neighborhood and passing a tree decorated with black dolls each hung by a noose..... I stand amazed and filled with emotion that in my grandparents, parents, my own and my children's lifetime that our country took a step forward in transcending the unfair and uncivilized. I held back tears while watching the footage of the young eyes in Kenya glued to President Obama's speech and the hundreds and thousands who drove non-stop to show their children that they have the same opportunities as anyone else. I can't possibly or even remotely identify with this experience, but I am overjoyed that as a result of this change in history that many will walk away feeling more positive about equality in the future..... and can go to sleep at night knowing that more doors have been opened for more people. Today in our country all of us regardless of our race have friends and family who risk thier lives every day for the freedoms we enjoy.....I hope that as Americans of all colors we can continue learning and working together towards unification as human beings, as friends and hopefully send a message to others that above all we want to share the space that we have been blessed with peacefully or even poetically and together set that standard. I hope that when my children are old enough to vote that the first African American president is remembered fondly but tucked away as a thing of the past.....that we just have candidates because as a nation we truly judge and are judged not by the color of our skin but by the content of our character......but for today......let's joyfully stand in the midst of a momental moment...... for so many a long awaited dream became a reality.

2 comments:

Kahilau said...

Shannen,
It's great to hear from you. Your kids are adorable too. We live in Utah right now and are enjoying life but truly missing Hawaii. I know the Uluave's got divorced and Ben is living here. Kim might be in Montana. I'm so glad to know how I can keep up wit you and yours.

F@y said...

OMGoodness I so loved and enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Im still in awe, but am very happy for the changes to come!